Theme Settings

Mode Layout
Theme color
Choose your colors
Background Color:


List of products by brand Пантелејмон

Saint Panteleimon Monastery


The monastery of St. Panteleimon is situated in the southwest of Mt. Athos, on the coast of a bay separating the Dafni port and the Xenophontos monastery. 

This Russian monastery was founded in the time of Vladimir the Great and was named after the "tou Xylourgou" brotherhood.  In the latter half of the 12th century, the brotherhood moved to the Old Rusikkon monastery due to crowded conditions. In the late 18th century, the monks settled in an Ascension of Christ monastery located on the coast, which is where the Panteleimon monastery stands today.  

The monastery was governed by Serbian rulers for 142 years, during which it was one of the most revered monasteries in spiritual and economic terms.

Between the 16th and the 18th century, large numbers of Russian monks inhabited the monastery and soon gained total control over it.  It became idiorrhythmic as early as 1803.

The monastery's architecture mostly differs from the conventional fortress-like appearance of Mt. Athos monasteries.  Multi-storey buildings encircle the older, dense center of a rectangular shape with the catholicon at its center, built in the 19th century and dedicated to Saint Panteleimon (celebrated on August 9). 

The monastery possesses the largest dining room on Mt. Athos, with the capacity of over 1000 people.  Adjacent to the dining room is an enormous bell, with a diameter of 8.7 meters and a weight of 13 tons.

This temple holds the head of St. Panteleimon and relics of the following saints: John the Baptist, St. Parascheva, St. Marina, apostle Thomas, John Chrysostom etc.  Another catholicon dedicated to the Intercession of the Theotokos preserves the relics of: John the Baptist, apostles Peter, Luke, Philip, Thomas, Bartholomew and Barnabas, St. Stephen, Isaac of Dalmatia, Dionysius the Areopagite, Cosmas and Damian, Cyril, Tryphon etc. 
 The wonder-working Our Lady of Jerusalem icon is held here, along with the icons of John the Baptist, St. Panteleimon and Charalampus. The third temple is dedicated to Metrophanes, ... A small temple dedicated to the Assumption of Mary
  is included in the main temple, as well as the temple honoring St. Vladimir and Alexander Nevsky. The monastery contains several chapels as well.  In the monastery's vicinity is the so-called "tomb", that is, an ossuary and a church dedicated to apostles Peter and Paul. The library contains over 20,000 books and manuscripts, many of them written in parchment. St. Panteleimon's monastery was once inhabited by 4000 monks, which has diminished to 50 nowadays. The monastery is ranked 19th in the Mt. Athos hierarchy.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Search again what you are looking for